1.14 Map reset?

Started by FishSandwich, April 22, 2019, 08:17:39 am

previous topic - next topic

Should we reset the map for the 1.14 update?

Yes, as soon as possible
12 (54.5%)
No, update with the current map and expand the world border
1 (4.5%)
Yes, but wait until all the plugins have been updated
9 (40.9%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Voting closed: May 06, 2019, 08:17:39 am

Go Down

FishSandwich

God this place is a graveyard.

Hey folks, it's everyone's favorite minister of propaganda here, FishSandwich.

1.14 is coming up, with a supposed release date tomorrow, and there's been plenty of talk in the discord about resetting the map considering how dead it is and all. Of course, it's probably better if we actually tally the votes instead of assuming everyone is down for a reset. Also, there might be another small obstacle; As some may remember, we did the 1.13 reset right as the update came out, and we were missing some of the plugins we were used to. We couldn't discover if something was stolen and by whom, and we also couldn't enable villager crop harvesting without also enabling creeper/ghast/wither/enderman griefing. So for the people who are down for a map reset, you should decide whether you'd just like to play 1.14 on the server as soon as possible, or if you'd like those QOL improvements. I personally feel like we managed fine without them last year, people quickly adapted to keeping their valuables in their enderchest and didn't have stocks at shops for the time being, but I don't know how the rest of you felt about it.

I have the poll set up for another 2 weeks, so vote at it.

Rose

As I said in Discord, even I cannot justify keeping the current map with how much 1.14 will change (eventhough it was supposed to be just a block update, -ite stairs yay!). We'll just miss out on too many things if we do not reset, seeing as nearly the entire map is already loaded. And it's been dead as fuck, including me. Time to breath some life into this bitch.

I do say wait for all the plugin updates, because I do recall the start of this map being a bit of a shitfan concerning certain people. And I would feel much more secure knowing that we have protection against griefing and stealing.

tempestchaserz

For the sake of brevity and time I'm just going to say ?ditto what Rose said?.

FishSandwich

Quote from: Rose on April 22, 2019, 08:27:43 amI do say wait for all the plugin updates, because I do recall the start of this map being a bit of a shitfan concerning certain people. And I would feel much more secure knowing that we have protection against griefing and stealing.

They never stole or griefed anything though, they were just trolling and shittalking in chat. That had nothing to do with plugins.

rev_xpurple

I'm up for a map reset.  But, lets see what the vote shows.

otakugenx

April 23, 2019, 09:30:12 pm #5 Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 09:51:44 pm by otakugenx
Before I vote.  Devils advocate here.  Is resetting the map going to get people on, probably, but much more importantly will it keep people coming.  Or are we going to end up with 9 months latter right back to the way it is now?
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.1
GCS/IT d+(-) s++:++ a C++++$ UBLISXC*++++$ P++++$ L+++$ E-- W+++ N+ o K-
w-- O M++$ V PS+ PE Y+ PGP++ t++ 5+++>5++++ X+ R- tv-- b+>+++ DI D+ G+ e+ h++ r z?
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
GPG Fingerprint: 67D5 6697 47DB 9132 88D7 3AAF 6965 B4E4 E811 1EF0

FishSandwich

Quote from: otakugenx on April 23, 2019, 09:30:12 pmOr are we going to end up with 9 months latter right back to the way it is now?

Yes, we are probably. Thing is, I don't think there is much we can do to keep people coming. Sure, resetting the map might only bump activity for like a month or 2, but what's the alternative? Not resetting and having the exact same activity in 9 months without that bump?

rev_xpurple

I have a successful compile of 1.14 for spigot.  Though, sadly I'll be out of town for the weekend.  I'll test plugins when I get back and we can go from there.

FishSandwich

Should probably wait until Monday anyways, I expect there's some people who only get on their PCs in the weekend.

rev_xpurple

If this is the way we are going then I'll do a complete backup on monday when I get back and then setup a TNT dispenser at spawn.

Blow shit up, have fun and then I'll upgrade the server a few days later.

Note that we will *not* have map support and other nice things right away, but we will as soon as we can.

BlueSuede

Eh, my vote is for waiting on the plugin protections to work, just to try to help prevent those types of people from even trying. With login numbers the way they are (very heavily including myself here), having setbacks like griefing would just bring more discouragement to people. I agree with Fish that I don't remember there being a ton last time we went without, but the pull of the dark side is strong to some, especially with no way to enforce consequences. (all that being said, I hope the plugins update soon because I miss all you fuckers XD)
[move][/move]

FishSandwich

Quote from: BlueSuede on April 28, 2019, 06:01:33 amEh, my vote is for waiting on the plugin protections to work, just to try to help prevent those types of people from even trying. With login numbers the way they are (very heavily including myself here), having setbacks like griefing would just bring more discouragement to people. I agree with Fish that I don't remember there being a ton last time we went without, but the pull of the dark side is strong to some, especially with no way to enforce consequences. (all that being said, I hope the plugins update soon because I miss all you fuckers XD)

Should probably have added a long time ago that the last plugin we needed was in a working state 3 months after the official 1.13 release, so you might have to miss us fuckers for a very long while if we wait for plugins.

Go Up