Spawn is a ghost town

Started by FishSandwich, January 23, 2020, 12:46:37 pm

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

FishSandwich

January 23, 2020, 12:46:37 pm Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 01:02:21 pm by FishSandwich
!! Warning !! This is a call out post. No one gets spared.

Hey everyone. It's your resident banhammer-wielding maniac, here to complain about something again. As the title may have spoiled already, spawn is a ghost town, despite the server getting a small handful of people who are regularly playing again, and it's been nice to see a few people online whenever you join (also please consider logging in and having a look if you haven't for a couple months :D)

The primary reason spawn is a ghost town mainly seems to be because there just doesn't seem to be anything to do around the area. Why is this? Because the area directly around the spawn teleports/nether portal is filled with useless bullshit. Low quality safehouses that don't even work, shops that haven't had almost anything in stock for ages, "temporary" buildings that have been there for the good part of half a year now. I've compiled a list below;

Starting from the spawn teleport straight away, we run into the first relic of a bygone time: the public rest house. It's just a small building with a bed, some furnaces and chests, etc. This might've been useful in the early days of the server when it was constructed, but it serves little to no purpose now. There's plenty of other safe spaces in spawn, not to mention you can't even sleep in this rest house anymore, because there's a trapped ravager in the pit next to it, making it so there's always monsters nearby that prevent you from sleeping.

Right behind the rest house is dragginmaster's second hand item shop. I remember it selling mending books at one point, and it was pretty useful, but that time has passed. It's current stock consists of 2 saddles (which are being offered free elsewhere anyways) and 5 stacks of arrows. That's it. There's also payment for items that have been sitting in the chests for more than 7 months, showing how long it's been since the owner went by to check on the supplies. It's just taking up space in a prominent location right by the spawn.

This area is just a mess. There appears to be a small cobble hut that was once someone's starter base, and a water elevator that let's you fall back down onto a slime block again? I don't even know what's going on here.

While you're there, you should check out the ...egg ...thing? behind you. There's... paintings inside?

If we head a little further into spawn, we'll come by the Butts enchanted book store (that is very low on stock)! See that sign outside saying they're moving soon? That sign's been there for 7 and a half months. Poor cola is still waiting on his spot to this day.

On your left hand side you'll now come by the main attraction: The bone shrine! It's made of bones. That's it.

If we take a really long walk past the big building we see in the above picture, we'll find yet another rest house. I'll refer back to the first bullet on this list. This is probably the thing on this list I have the fewest amount of gripes with because it also serves as an access point to the underground mall, and it's not in the way right now, but it is basically blocking the expansion of spawn in this direction just because there's so much dead space around it that can't be used now.

Then there's the bee tree right by spawn. In the newest 1.15.2 update, there's finally a way to generate your own bee nests by growing oak or birch saplings next to a flower, so once we update to that version I plan on getting rid of this as well.

There's also this bigass candy cane. It's not really in the way as much since it fuckin' towers over everything, but christmas was a month ago, c'mon now.

All these buildings and whatnot take up space from things that could be actually useful, or shops that could actually get stocked. Little_Billy made this great gear & item shop not too long ago for example, but it just has to be small wall now instead of an actual building because there's simply no room around spawn, which is kinda sad :c It's just a step up from the single-chest shops that I've tried getting rid of multiple times but that just keep popping up for most likely the same reason.

I'd like to get rid of the lot of these buildings (after talking to the owners, of course), so there's more room for new things, which might in turn motivate people to build something, or to check out spawn more regularly :) I'd also like to personally build a post office/trading hall-sort of building right by the spawn platform that'll hopefully get rid of the one-chest shops once and for all. Need to leave something for someone that isn't currently online, and you don't know where they live? Leave it for them in the post office! Have you recently come into the possession of a large number of elytra and you want to sell them, but you don't want to build a whole shop for that because you can't to bother keeping it stocked? Claim a chest in the trading hall and sell them from there, unclaiming the chest when you've sold out, easy as that! The post office/trading hall could also function as a safe house by putting a few beds in a back room or something, if people insist on having one still.

If your jimmies remain rustled for longer than 4 hours, contact a medical expert.

Go Up