Another Fishy idea

Started by FishSandwich, August 02, 2017, 10:45:57 am

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

FishSandwich

Alright, so, I know we're a mostly vanilla survival server, but 1.13 has a feature coming up that I think we could maybe make use off. I'm talking of course about custom crafting. In case you're not up to date, in 1.12, a change was made in how crafting recipes work coding-wise; previously, recipes were hardcoded into the game, but now they're very easily editable notepad files in your game folder. Next update, they will add support to effectively change and add your own crafting recipes. Important to note is that you can't insert new items, just recipes. So for example you can make iron nuggets craft into chainmail armor, because all those things are already in the game, but you can't make popped chorus fruit craft into purpur tools, because those don't exist. I'm wondering what you guys think on if we should make use of this feature (since it's great for small Quality Of Life improvements, some of which I will list shortly) and it doesn't mess with the general feel of vanilla minecraft (imo, it's a change similar to how the dragon drops elytra on death).

So, here are my personal ideas on what we can use it for. Like I said, most of these are just QOL changes, but I have one slightly more relevant one at the end (no pun intended).

1) Logical stairs.
So, we can all agree that slabs make total sense. 3 blocks make 6 half blocks, that's just math. However, 6 blocks make only 4 3/4ths of a block. 6 full blocks would be equal volume to 8 stairs. Even if you assume the chunks you cut out can't be glued back together, you should still be getting 6, right? I suggest we change the stair crafting recipe to give either 6 or 8 stairs instead of 4.

2) Synchronized dyeing.
Alright, so almost everything in minecraft that you can dye works in the same way; dye in the middle surrounded by 8 blocks. All, except wool. I suggest we change it so you can dye wool the same way as clay or glass; 8 blocks with one piece of dye. While on this topic anyways, I suggest we also add the ability to redye these items, so for example, if you want red wool but all you have is green, you can just redye that green wool instead of having to get white wool somewhere.

3) Pimp my horse.
Long ago, when horse armor was introduced, it was craftable, and it was just all around a good time, but then the spawner loot tables attacked. I'd like to introduce craftable horse armor back in. Maybe a more expensive variant then was originally in the game, because diamond horse armor took only 5 diamonds which is a bit cheap.

4) More portals for everyone.
This is the slightly more relevant one I was talking about. I'd like to make end portal blocks craftable. Now, before you get your jimmies all rustled, hear me out. First off, the recipe would contain end stone. This means the end must have already been found, and you most likely will have to go there yourself to craft the portal. Furthermore, the recipe would be expensive. I'm talking like a diamond block maybe? And remember you need 12 of these blocks to form a portal, so that's not something you're going to be able to do right off the bat. Maybe some obsidian in there as well just to make it that much more of a pain and because it kind of looks like that's what the end portal block is made out of.

This comes with the added downside of end portal blocks not being breakable by the average joe. This means you have to be really careful about placing them, and there is some potential for trolling there. I think the best workaround for this would be to create a command block on a clock at spawn that continuously checks for people with end portal blocks in their inventory. If it finds someone, it will send them a message telling them to be careful while placing it, as well as warning them that placing in someone else's base is grounds for a ban. If something ever does go wrong, I personally don't find it too much of an issue to drop by and remove them for you (Can't speak for all the mods though, that Chester is a lazy one).

That's just my 2 cents. Do you think adding custom crafting recipes to the server would be a good idea, and if so, what recipes would you like to see?

Yours truly,

Fish the Sand witch.

Funky_Swunk

Manlyman95

i dont see why not? but i would suggest if we do that we put it on a page for the imgurcraft website so all new players know that we changed it up.
Praise the lord and phallus amen.

Dilzey

YA YEEET

FishSandwich

Quote from: Dilzey on August 02, 2017, 01:52:01 pmMaybe Saddles as well?

I was thinking about this, do you have any ideas for the crafting recipe though? It'd make sense if saddles were made out of leather, but leather isn't really an expensive material for an item that's pretty handy to have. The thing about horse armor is that you'd be putting a lot of value in to get it. Maybe we should work something like iron or gold into a potential saddle recipe?

bobbobogaming

regarding the saddles ill help you out a lot and set up a shop that sells them really cheap, there are junk items for me at the point enyway

Funky_Swunk

So I have a shop selling saddles.

You wanna get me poor?

bobbobogaming

Quote from: Funky_Swunk on August 02, 2017, 04:45:13 pmSo I have a shop selling saddles.

You wanna get me poor?

ohh no i dont. quess ill keep my junk then

chesterqw

you the lazy one! *angrily shakes fist*
( ยด-ω・)︻┻┳══━一
Abide by the rules or get sniped.

ClarkZach

Sound like good ideas to me fish!

Dilzey

Quote from: FishSandwich on August 02, 2017, 02:16:23 pm
Quote from: Dilzey on August 02, 2017, 01:52:01 pmMaybe Saddles as well?

I was thinking about this, do you have any ideas for the crafting recipe though? It'd make sense if saddles were made out of leather, but leather isn't really an expensive material for an item that's pretty handy to have. The thing about horse armor is that you'd be putting a lot of value in to get it. Maybe we should work something like iron or gold into a potential saddle recipe?
Yeah, It would make sense with iron because they have those little metal things that you put through
YA YEEET

Ellenoria

I AM 100% DOWN WITH REDYING Oh LAWD do i hate having a crap ton of stained clayterracrapwhatever that i'll never use ._.

dragginmaster

September 04, 2017, 06:49:26 am #12 Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 08:39:09 am by dragginmaster
I support this idea.

how about changing the ingredient for poison potions from spider eyes to poisonous potato.

make something sompletely useless have a use.
When you say "hey, didn't you see it on the forum?"

No, i did not.

Borderlad

I like the ideas for stairs, dyeing wool, re-dyeing, and horse armor.

I like having end portals not craftable, but it wouldn't upset me if the community decides to have them craftable.

I have often wished that saddles were craftable in SP, but I have found that less of an issue for me in MP.  Plus, I wouldn't want to suddenly put Funky's shop out of business.  :(

I like the idea of giving the poisonous potato a reason for existing!  (poison potion)

..... Are Notch Apples completely gone from PC edition, or could we use a custom recipe to make them craftable?

FishSandwich

I don't think brewing recipes are editable sadly, so I'm gonna have to give you a raincheck on that one.

Also, Notch apples are definitely not gone, and we could make them craftable again.

Go Up