Should we have a Player Graves datapack? (vote here)

Started by Enderaan, October 22, 2018, 01:33:12 am

previous topic - next topic

Should we add this datapack?

Yes!
5 (41.7%)
No!
7 (58.3%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: October 29, 2018, 01:36:20 am

Go Down

Enderaan

October 22, 2018, 01:33:12 am Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 01:46:30 am by Enderaan
Everyone knows that dying in minecraft is a pretty big hassle. You have to retrieve your stuff before it despawns, and that is assuming you haven't fallen in lava. On top of that, it can be pretty difficult if the server starts acting up for whatever reason. An idea has been going around about adding player graves, which will essentially make it so that you no longer have to worry about your items despawning if you aren't able to get it in time, or keep it from falling in lava. One such datapack is shown here.

There are at least some players on the server who want the experience as vanilla as possible, and while I am personally fine with or without graves, I would offer these few arguments to the naysayers:

-A datapack is not a mod, if the terminology alone is what turns you away. A datapack uses completely vanilla functions to perform actions. It is almost like an official update, except that for updates, Mojang does not simply use preexisting assets to create features, they add new ones. In some ways they are really just mods, but with an official title. Which leads into my second point;

-Mods and updates are essentially the same thing. What is the difference between them, really? (other than who added the changes, that is) Mods and updates both add or change features in minecraft, usually for the purpose of a more enjoyable or engaging experience. I would argue that the only real difference is that mods tend to go to the extreme in one direction, think buildcraft and industry or thaumcraft and magic, while updates tend to benefit the experience as a whole.

Please remember that I simply want the best for the community. I am not here to make a rift in the community, and please keep discussions civil.

Vote above

Rose

There's nothing like dying 7000 blocks from home, not knowing exactly where you were, and then deploying a rescue mission for your stuff. That's the real Minecraft experience, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

ButtMan3K

Im with Rose, game is fairly easy, no need to make it even easier and less challenging...  Death would be too trivial with graves

Ellenoria

If there was a way to make it either optional or more challenging to get your items back, that would be really cool. I don't mind either way, but I'm also not one to die often. I see both sides, while no, you don't have to worry about your items despawning, you would still need to go back to where you died to get your stuff. But I also see dying in lava and losing all your stuff as a part of the vanilla experience. Personally I think that it's okay as it is, as if you die due to lag Rev always returns your things. But I also see why people want graves. Dying wouldn't necessarily be completely nerfed, but you wouldn't have the "OH F*** DID ANYTHING FALL IN LAVA DID I GET EVERYTHING" feeling.

Maybe if there was a way to make the grave despawn after a certain amount of time. I can see that actually benefiting the server performance if you could make the grave disappear after the standard 5 minutes, as instead of a full inventory's worth of entities floating around, it'd be a single block with the items inside so it wouldn't be dragging the server down, though I don't believe it does normally, but with 1.13 being so dang laggy who knows.

I do agree with Enderan on the datapack thing, datapacks are technically vanilla. We don't have to change a single thing on our side for the changes to be made serverside, however it should always be an almost 100% yes on a vote before putting it in, if the vote is close then I don't think we should put it in, as with all the other things we've discussed.

rev_xpurple

So far we sit at 50/50 for votes.  That being the case and if nothing changes then we will not not do it.  No biggie.

Borderlad

My initial thought upon watching the video was, "This is a really nifty thing!"

Thinking more about it, though, I realized that the possibility of losing my gear (if I can't retrieve it before it despawns) is what makes dying worth avoiding.  Changes dying from a speed bump into a setback.  And that element of risk helps keep the game more interesting for me.

I still think Player Graves is a nifty idea.
Just... in the end, not my preference.

FishSandwich

I agree with Borderlad on this one. The small changes we have from vanilla are just quality of life improvements. I feel like player graves are crossing the line of a QoL change and just straight up make the game unnecessarily easy. With Mob griefing and fire spread both turned off, death is like the only setback you can actually still experience.

Go Up